Monday, February 8, 2010

THE HANGOVER

CARLY:

I must admit, watching this movie again while my husband is "working" in Las Vegas is probably not a good idea. Particularly because it makes me even MORE jealous than I already am, but anyways, I digress.

The Hangover is a comedy set in Vegas, where three groomsmen lose Doug (the groom) during a crazy bachelor party, and must retrace their steps the next day in order to find him and get him to the wedding on time. What I loved about this movie is as follows:

1) I love Vegas. The city is larger than life, and I had an absolutely amazing time there. I can't wait to visit again, once I don't live halfway across the world. I think anyone will find this movie hilarious, but if you have been to Vegas, it just makes it that much more amazing.

2) Music. The playlist for this movie fits perfectly with the concepts in the movie. I hate when movies have bad music, or not even bad music, just music that doesn't fit in at the right times. This movie's playlist includes artists such as The Donnas, Kanye West, T.I., Usher and Lil Jon, Rihanna, Flo Rida, Phil Collins...etc. Each song is strategically placed in the correct spot to have the maximum effect on the viewers. And I can't stress enough how important music is to me in a movie. The opening credits to "Thirteen" by El Vez fits in perfectly with the images of the vacant desert and ends with the Bellagio fountains perfectly in sync with the song. Another musical and hilarious point in the movie includes Mike Tyson singing "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins.

3) Quotes. I can always tell if I find a movie funny because it contains many lines that can be quoted later. Below is a sample of a few favorites, but I'll leave it at that so I don't spoil them all.

Phil Wenneck: You're not really wearing that are you?
Alan Garner: Wearing what?
Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.


Alan Garner: You guys might not know this, but I consider myself a bit of a loner. I tend to think of myself as a one-man wolf pack. But when my sister brought Doug home, I knew he was one of my own. And my wolf pack... it grew by one. So there... there were two of us in the wolf pack... I was alone first in the pack, and then Doug joined in later. And six months ago, when Doug introduced me to you guys, I thought, "Wait a second, could it be?" And now I know for sure, I just added two more guys to my wolf pack. Four of us wolves, running around the desert together, in Las Vegas, looking for strippers and cocaine. So tonight, I make a toast!


Alan Garner: Gambling? Who said anything about gambling? It's not gambling when you know you're gonna win. Counting cards is a foolproof system.
Stu Price: It's also illegal.
Alan Garner: It's not illegal. It's frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.
Phil Wenneck: I'm pretty sure that's illegal too.
Alan Garner: Yeah, maybe after 9/11, where everybody got so sensitive. Thanks a lot, bin Laden.


Sid Garner: Remember, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Except for herpes. That shit'll come back with you


This movie is a classic comedy, and will undoubtedly make you laugh.

GRADE: A

No comments:

Post a Comment